I’m going to get straight to the point. Bookmark this post. You’ll be glad you did. Not only does it already contain a roundup of all my best advice and resources for how to get an internship, but I’m going to continue to update this post in the future as I add even more great resources for you. It will be the gift that keeps on giving. I’m serious — Bookmark this post. Do it now.
Get an Internship by Creating a Winning Resume
- Watch my Optimizing Your Resume playlist on YouTube. (PSA: Did you know I have multiple playlists on YouTube? Check them out for the easiest way to binge all of the information you need.)
- Download my free Resume Readiness Checklist.
- Check out my blog post on How to Create an Effective Student Resume.
- Need some extra support? Sign up for 1:1 Resume Review Coaching with me.
Land an Internship by Optimizing Your LinkedIn Profile
- Sign up for my free LinkedIn training for students. I walk you through it all step by step.
- Watch Use LinkedIn to Get the Internship.
- Read my blog post on Why You’re Losing if You’re Not Using LinkedIn.
Find Internships by Doing Your Research
- Watch How to Search for Internships, Get an Internship with No Experience, 5 Creative Ways to Land the Internship, How to Increase Your Chances of Landing the Internship, and Get an Internship as a Freshman or Sophomore — all on YouTube.
- Read the My Intern Hustle series on the blog to get perspective and advice from real interns in a variety of industries.
- Interested in a career in sports? Check out my popular video on How to Get an Internship in Sports.
- Starting from the beginning without a clue of what you want to do? Watch What Career is Right for Me? for a simple framework to help you brainstorm.
Utilize Career Resources on Campus to Learn How to Get an Internship in College
- Watch How to Prepare for Your College Career Fair to ensure that you maximize what you get out of your career fair.
- Read Questions to Ask Recruiters at a Career Fair from the blog.
Get Out There and Network to Get an Internship with No Experience
- Read How to Create a Memorable Student Business Card and create your own cards today!
- Watch my Building Your Network playlist on YouTube for networking ideas, tips on informational interviews, and how to stay in touch with the people you meet.
- Read How to Network with Your Personal Elevator Pitch and check out my sample personal pitch template included in the post.
- Have a holiday break coming up from school? Read Who Do You Know? (Holiday Networking Edition).
Understand What to Expect from an Internship and Plan Ahead
- Watch How to Relocate for an Internship for all the things to consider if you plan on interning in another city, state or even country.
- Download my free Internship Relocation Checklist.
- Watch Are Unpaid Internships Worth It? to determine if an unpaid opportunity is a feasible option for you.
- Read Maximize Your College Return on Investment with Internships.
- Check out my post on Internship Essentials to get an idea for items you may need to budget for.
Learn How to Apply to Internships with Confidence
- Watch Writing a Cover Letter and How to Write a Professional Email.
- Read 5 Cover Letter Fails that are Killing Your Chance for that Internship to make sure you are avoiding these common mistakes.
- Watch How to Increase Your Chances of Landing the Internship and pick up some ideas for goals you can set for yourself.
- Revisit the Optimizing Your Resume playlist on YouTube.
- Also, rejection happens. Watch Internship Rejection – How to Deal with It.
Prepare for the Interview to Secure an Internship
- Watch Internship Phone Interview – How to Prepare for this Important Interview Step, or if you prefer reading, get the same info in my post on 20 Phone Interview Tips.
- Watch Internship Interview Advice – 5 Interview Tips for Students and the popular Internship Interview Questions to Ask (also included as a part of my Preparing for the Interview playlist on YouTube).
Just for fun >> How many BINGOs do you already have on the board below? Keep working through this list of recommended actions, and sooner rather than later you’ll have success. Because those who choose to take action (and flex their initiative muscle) are the ones who get results.
Don’t forget to bookmark this post and continue to check back frequently as more resources are added. You have a goal, and I’m here to help!